Ms. Wamp® - I always wished I was part of a big Irish Catholic family and then realized as a plain ol' Southern Baptist I already have more family than I can handle sometimes! Mr. Mc® - a vintage 1982 classic brew....like chocolate - I'm an acquired taste. Normal blogs are typically narrated by one individual - as you'll see...we're not normal but are one. This is our life sometimes adventurous, oft times mundane, but always retold with flourish!

Monday, March 8, 2010

Pain, Embarrasment and Secrets!!

The Secret
A big reveal to my 4 blog readers - I am shorter than my family. Not just kinda shorter - like way shorter.... Jean is like 6 or 7" taller than me. If we moosh our faces together like this - no one can tell who's taller or shorter....



The weird thing is I have never felt short or thought of myself as short.... No clue why but everyone reminds me how short I am and pictures go a long way to show that I am in fact a shorty. I gravitate towards taller shoes generally and love em' - 4" heel is about my max and I usually need a walking buddy to go with me.

                                                     This picture is old - but we look great!

So when Josh and I ate sushi on Saturday and after lunch passed a shop in the strip mall with ginormous platform/stripper shoes I knew I had to try them on. I feel great in 4" heels but what about in a ONE FOOT tall platform - that had to be better right? I crammed my foot into the right foot shoe that was on display, leaned on Josh's shoulder and hosted myself up. And DANG I was up there tall! As tall as I am on a step ladder at home - no joking.

Well Josh stepped back to view the new Amazon woman he was shopping with and I gave a little hip wiggle - "look at me all tall and cool, Jean's got noooothhhiiiinnnnng...... " and BOOM in a slow motion, quiet, typical moment I came down, all 12" of my height were gobbled up by gravity. Twisted the crap outta my knee and big crocodile tears of pain and embarrassment rolled down my face - it was real bad, but not bad enough that I couldn't right myself, snap a picture of the offending shoe and stroll out with my head held kinda high with a gansta limp. Ouch!

The Embarrassment
After church on Saturday nights Josh and I try to take time and go to dinner and movie - enjoy being dressed up and relaxed and so we went to Trulocks in Southlake. Totally snooty and that night it was expensive for my mood - like the price of the food made me less hungry.
I think our waitress saw my sticker shock face and when I said we were just going to get a drink and appetizer she remembered that the bar area had 1/2 price drinks and appetizers til' 7 o'clock Monday - Saturday. Totally cool and way more up my ally! So we moved over there, the bar was super nice, had a piano man and everything.


Ok so the story: I ordered a martini

Waitress: Gin or Vodka

Me: Vodka - dirty

Waitress: What kinda vodka

Me: I dunnknow..... what cha got

Waitress (getting pretty bored by now): Grey Goose, SKYY, Absolut, Belvedere, etc.

Me(overwhelmed and going with what I know): Don't you have any Tanqueray?
Josh: That's GIN you wanted VODKA.......
Me (red faced & not impressing the waitress AT ALL by now): err... yeah..... Grey Goose....

Josh: Oh dears

Waitress: O.k. then I’ll have that right out

End Scene.


The EGO!
I would pose a question to you - when you look at the picture below what do you see?




Well to me, all I see is a lovely gorgeous ring that my Husband and MIL go graciously collaborated on and blessed me with. So when I was at a conference recently talking with people and they kept craning their heads to stare at my hand I was thinking


"Jeeze the ring is awesome and all but don't have to be so obvious when you stare!"

Well after it had happened a couple of times I realize - oops!!

4 comments:

  1. Great post!! I do stuff like that ALL the time. Love how you were drinking martinis after church, ha! Considering we drink wine and my bible study I think that's right up my ally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. allEy not ally. But that too I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i see a high school girl with attitude

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine your fall from 12" was similar to the slow motion fall at the airport. It may not have happened like that, but in my head it did!

    I messed up at the liquor store the other day. I asked "where are your gold schnaps?" He looked at me and made me repeat my question. Then he said "Gold Schlager?" I blushed with embarassment and quickly told him it was my husband's drink and not my own. Woops!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete