Ms. Wamp® - I always wished I was part of a big Irish Catholic family and then realized as a plain ol' Southern Baptist I already have more family than I can handle sometimes! Mr. Mc® - a vintage 1982 classic brew....like chocolate - I'm an acquired taste. Normal blogs are typically narrated by one individual - as you'll see...we're not normal but are one. This is our life sometimes adventurous, oft times mundane, but always retold with flourish!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Real Life Adventure

I was home last week deathly ill with the sniffles - snuffy, coughing, cranky, head ache blah - one giant hot mess. So while I was home in my idyllic, quiet neighborhood, laying in bed thinking how miserable I was I kept hearing voices outside.

It sounded like children's voices which was very much wrong - the holidays were over, it was 9:00 am and kids should be in school, no derelicts live in our neighborhood that I knew of - what could be going on?

As any proper housewife would do I bundled up against the 20 degree weather and dragged myself outside to inspect just what all the ruckus was about - the ruckus it turns out was my neighbor standing in her backyard begging and pleading with her new fluffy grey kitten, Smokey, to get out of the tree that is right between our two yards.


(its like a wheres waldo - but you can see Smokey here almost in the middle of the picture...)

I was cold, sick and thoroughly amazed. I had never seen a kitten (or cat) stuck in a tree and didn't know it actually happened! Seemed like something out of a cool 1950's movie or a episode of Leave it to Beaver - but to be unfolding right in my backyard - what a moment!

My neighbor actually did call the fire department but they sent animal control over. So animal control came and rang our doorbell because he had to come into our backyard - it was nice to have a animal control issue that didn't involve our angelic dogs!




So he went into our backyard, jabbed at the poor kitten with a 12 foot or longer pole trying to scare it down or something to no avail. I snuck a few photos from our balcony of all the suburban drama unfolding right in my backyard. Seriously I was sick and bored!



After about 10 minutes of poking and knocking around he said the cat would leave when it was ready. My neighbor inquired if he couldn't call the fire department or get a ladder. He replied, "Its a lie, we don't climb trees, use ladders or go in attics. The fire department can't help ya either." And with that he left. The kitten did eventually come down on his own - but for those 10 minutes I got to live a moment out of Pleasantville!

Don't be jealous of my exciting life! ; )

1 comment:

  1. Ha!! That's one of those things you don't think happens in real life. Hope you're feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete