Ms. Wamp® - I always wished I was part of a big Irish Catholic family and then realized as a plain ol' Southern Baptist I already have more family than I can handle sometimes! Mr. Mc® - a vintage 1982 classic brew....like chocolate - I'm an acquired taste. Normal blogs are typically narrated by one individual - as you'll see...we're not normal but are one. This is our life sometimes adventurous, oft times mundane, but always retold with flourish!

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Bree Vandekamp

My momma raised me right - I can cook, clean and behave like a lady.


My family is relaxed, unpretentious and loves spending time together. I am good at cooking and entertaining but who I asked gave me the crazy entertainer gene?! Why do I feel that if I don't entertain and decorate in a manner that would make Southern Living jealous I've somehow fallen short? Somehow I think I should be Bree from Desperate Housewives, calm cool, collected, cooking in heels and pearls and make food I can't even pronounce! In the show her life isn't all that grand and being a giant ice queen who serves a good pie hasn't really gained her much happiness, but still.......


I have some weird internal drive to make everything perfect and make it all look effortless - but its not. It takes a toll on me mentally, it takes a toll on hubby's patience, but it does look good!! So how I wonder do I let go enough to enjoy the week before the event, but still make it special and feel good about it........


Cause there has to be a middle ground between this:




and this.........


what goes here.....?









Any ideas? I'm pretty far gone this year and hubby has been awesome helping me out with a theme and seating ideas. He is so fabulous - he even showed me how much he loved me by buying me a box of these! Let me tell you that as someone who never buys sweets for herself this guy had to dig deep into his memory to know I've loved these ever since my mom packed my lunches for me a looooong time ago - so when I'm having a bad day cause I've come up with a list of 11 appetizers that I think I have to make - I sit back and take a breath - cause its really all about family & the jelly rolls. Plus I know that we have a awesome simple theme for this year - and it will be perfect and special.


I guess even more important than the jelly rolls its all about this big crazy group that I couldn't live without!!!



1 comment: